Sunday, July 11, 2010

Guilty Pleasures - Part II

About a year and a half ago, I fessed up to some guilty pleasures. Looking back, they all still apply although some are harder to enjoy these days. (Unfortunately, no TV exec. has realized the complete genius of Celebrity Poker Showdown and brought it back for those of us who truly appreciated its pure entertainment value.)

But since it's been so long, I figured it was time to update the list.  So for my public confession, I offer up the following list of guilty pleasures.

MythBusters

Is it a silly show?  Yes.  Is it a teenage boy's dream to get a job where you get paid to build stuff and then blow it up/shoot it off/throw it out of a helicopter? Yes.  Will I ever grow up? No. 

Listen, I still think fart jokes are funny and a show where they build the Captain Kirk Gorn Cannon and test it is awesome.  The fact that they film it with a super high speed camera makes it even better.

And to set the record straight - Kari Byron has nothing to do with my having seen nearly every episode. Really. Cute, funny redheads who like to blow things up aren't in the least bit attractive.

Hamm's Beer

I guess when you spend your summers as young man in the "land of sky blue waters" you are bound to pick up a few things. A love of water skiing, an affinity for fishing and a taste for Hamm's beer. Is it great beer?  Not even close.  It is your typical American lager, the butt of the famous joke, "Why is American beer like making love in a canoe? Because it's fucking close to water."

But when you grow up sneaking them out of your uncle's cooler on a warm summer night with the cool breeze off the lake carrying the sounds of loons calling and small mouth bass jumping, it's more about the memory than the taste.

Twister

Not the game, the movie.  Starring Bill Paxton, Helen Hunt, Gary Elwes, Jami Gertz and Philip Seymore Hoffman, this action flick based on tornado chasing researchers is a tad predictable and formulaic. Okay, it's very predictable and formulaic. But I have always wanted to chase tornadoes, it looks like fun.  And when you add in a love interest, an underdog versus the well-funded competition and cheesy dialog, it is a much watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon. 

The best part is that it has been on heavy rotation for the past couple of years.  Just like Independence Day a few years ago, it seems to be on once every couple of weeks and always worth watching.  Well, at least the first couple of reels.  The ending is so over the top that even I have a little gag response, but not enough to make me switch channels.

Well, that's enough embarrassment for now.  Now it's time for you to tell me your guilty pleasures. You'll feel better once you confess, I promise.  I know I will feel better once you confess and since this is my blog, it's really all about me.

6 comments:

Candice said...

I think you are the first person I know who likes the movie Twister.

Congratulations. ;)

The T-Dude said...

On behalf of the Academy, I'd like to thank everyone one who made this honor possible...Candice. You pity me! You really pity me!

Phil said...

All this talk of guilty pleasures and no mention of Curling?

The T-Dude said...

Phil - Actually...I already confessed to that one!
http://thet-dude.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-new-addictioncurling.html#links

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am certainly happy to find this. Good job!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.