Thursday, September 20, 2007

Clever Graffiti and Upcoming Travel

Just outside of the beltway, the multi-lane nightmare of highway that encircles Washington D.C., there is a large Mormon Temple. It is quite a sight as you can see from the picture. Tall ivory towers reaching majestically into the sky with tallest one being topped by a golden trumpeter facing Salt Lake City.

At night, the entire building is bathed in this emerald green light that makes it shimmer like a massive gemstone against the night sky. When you are driving on the beltway, just as you pass this awe inspiring emerald symbol of Mormon faith, you pass under an overpass. When I lived in D.C., written on the side of that overpass in giant black letters was the following message:

Surrender Dorothy

I always thought that was brilliant.

I mention this because I am following the direction of that Golden Trumpeter and am off to Salt Lake City in a few days for business. I won't have much time, but if anyone has some advise on things to see or do, I would certainly like to hear it.

7 comments:

Jim said...

Who knew you could classify grafitti as gay?

The T-Dude said...

HA!

Only a true friend of Dorothy would have thought of it that way.

Jim said...

Truth be told, when you described the temple I thought, "Oh my god, like the Wizard of Oz... You could half expect to see the witch flying overhead!" And then you posted what the grafitti was. I was two steps ahead.

Becky said...

Awww... I'm a Mormon! And I just got to pass that same temple Sunday when I went to the stadium for the skins giants game. I was one of the only people besides my hubby rooting for the giants and they won, we were almost lynched on the way out of the stadium. Alls well that ends well.

Becky said...

FYI, The golden trumpeteer is an angel named Moroni.

Steph said...

Haaaaaahaha! I bet the Mormons loved that one.

phishez said...

Thats brilliant! I was so thinking of the emerald city of Oz (as opposed to brown land I live in) when you were describing that.