Alrighty then...it's Joe "Hair Plugs" Biden for Vice President.
This wasn't the pick I predicted, but I understand why he went this way. I thought he was going to go with the Virginia Governor Tim Kaine but in the end, experience won out over synergy.
So the real quick look at some of the pros and cons of choosing Biden.
- Foreign policy experience out the butt. He's been on the foreign relations committee for quite a while and is the current chair.
- He's an old, white guy. Old white guys like to vote for other old white guys and that is a demographic that McCain had to himself until now.
- He's a good debater and a decent campaigner.
- He has been in the Senate for over 30 years. You can't be a senator that long and not make some apparent flip-flop votes. It's just the way the game is played.
- He was an opponent during the primaries. That means he said things to make Obama look badly. I'm sure the McCain camp's "Biden said Obama ain't ready" ad is already in the can and set to air.
- He's from Delaware. The "liberal northerners" label will be plastered all over this ticket south of the Mason-Dixon line. Not that the NASCAR dads were ever going to put down their remote controls and fishing rods long enough to listen to, let alone vote for Obama anyway.
- He's not Hillary. Why won't these Hillary fanatics let it go. She lost, Obama won. Threatening the party with defection and convention chaos only helps us get 4 to 8 more years of Republican rule.
Okay, let the games begin. I think McCain is going to pick Milt so that he can put Michigan in play and have a little youth on the ticket. Of course, with Grampy McGrumpy being the nominee, Moses might add a little youth to the ticket.